How do you determine what makes a great branch manager? The results would be fairly obvious, I suspect… along the lines of have a clear vision and strategy for your team, help staff with career development, be productive and results-oriented… All standard stuff. Well, Google found the same results but they took a more methodical […]
Archive | Leadership Development RSS feed for this section
Mentorship has changed over the past few years. Two of the biggest changes that I have observed have been the movement from one mentor to more of a “board of directors” and the change from age- and experience-based mentorship to more of a recognition that there is much to be learned from younger colleagues once […]
Robert Cialdini’s work on Influence: Science and Practice (5th edition, Pearson, 2009) expands on his six principles for the psychology of persuasion: Reciprocity; Liking; Social Proof; Authority; Scarcity; and Commitment and Consistency. These are presented in greater detail in the previous blog posting. It is well worth reading for his theoretical and research foundations. If […]
You may be aware of this new report, but if not: The International City/County Management Association has released their study Maximize the Potential of Your Public Library. Their general recommendations are quite good. Here is the description: Learn how public libraries can help local governments tackle critical community priorities such as economic development, public safety, […]
Search Our Blog
Subscribe To Our Blog Via Email
- Time for a Time-Out June 10, 2014
- Fee-Based Programs – a New Business Model for Uncertain Times June 3, 2014
- Do We Need Different Revenue Streams? May 27, 2014
- Trends for Libraries May 20, 2014
- What is Your Brand? May 13, 2014
- Why Do Librarians Avoid Management? February 18, 2014
- Is this Racism? June 25, 2013
- How to Close Down Conversations May 8, 2013
- What is your Standard for Customer Service? July 2, 2013
- Top 10 Elite Job Interview Questions May 13, 2013
- Henry Quon: Dear Mr. Haycock, I came across your website th...
- The School Library: Where vs. Who | Open Shelf: […] his 2013 article “School Libraries and...
- Background documents on library transformation | Creston Library Visioning 2020: […] http://kenhaycock.com/blog/ […]...
- Public Library Advocacy: An Evidence-Based Perspective on Sustainable Funding » Public Libraries Online: […] Haycock, “Advocacy and Influence,” K...
- christine: Outsource Middle Management in libraries. Middle m...